CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

I have a similar problem with directv and lonsteien law

Customer Question

Hello I have a similar problem with directv and lonsteien law except I had a licensed installer from direct but third party install a complex system at my house 5 receivers 1 more tv was set up at my small business all payments are direct debited we pay right along on time all good bill averages 280--330 per month my programming at home wouldn't work suddenly I called direst and was referred to a number whic turned out to be lonsteien accusing us of piracy Etc demanding 7500-10000 I pay every month the work tv is in front of my work counter for my use for news Etc the installer sported the logo on the truck and shirts I think this is extortion and need help
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: Ky what truck? They have a business here in town installing dish direct tvs sound systems etc it's a pretty big business
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of now. My home service is off I don't care about the 1 tv at the small business office it's not for clientele we don't sell goods we are a tattoo shop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. MY name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

These lawsuits are becoming more common as communications providers (cable and satellite television in particular) are more easily able to track where their services are being used.

The result of your case is going to depend entirely on the specific language in your user services agreement (the contract that accompanied the setup of your initial service from the service provider - not the installation company). This contract may have come in a digitial format, if so, I recommend printing it out, and reviewing it carefully, most of these have a specific provision or clause related to commercial use.

Some services are more restrictive than others (some prohibit installation of residential lines in commercial buildings, while others are more permissive prohibiting use of residential services in commercial settings). So you need to carefully review your specific contract.

After that, you can argue that the installation by their licensed provider is a "waiver" of that clause, but this is only a "mitigating argument" and is not going to eliminate any penalty of the contractual language.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what's next? I never signed anything at all I told them what I wanted and they installed it. Your answer doesn't tell me anything I had actually not proceeded with thus after I realized it was more than 5.00 now I see 31.00 has been taken from my account. So I hope I can at least get recommendations on how to proceed as they had no reason to "track" their service it's what I asked for I'm not hiding from anyone But if you guys are gonna charge me again then I don't need any more "help" please don't charge me any more.