Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I bought a used boat and motor from dealership,had it than

Customer Question

I bought a used boat and motor from dealership,had it for less than 90 day's when motor locked up.took it back to let their mechanic look at it,he's said one of the carburetors leaned out causing the piston to seized,he said I bought as is,he also told me he don't sell junk,he gets to keep my $4200 dollars,and I get a boat with motor that don't run. 4200 dollar peace of junk anything I can do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Does your bill of sale states "as is" condition?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I don't think so
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Thank you for your follow up.

Were you provided with any type of written purchase / sales agreement or bill of sale for the boat by the dealer?

Is this a used boat?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have a bill of sale,yes it was a trade in,so yes it is a used boat

Thank you for your follow up.

Does the bill of sale state that the boat was sold in "as is" condition?

Or does the bill of sale state that it was sold with some type of warranty?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No,it's just a standard bill of sale that show price+tax and a total of what we paid in cash 4200
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi word of mouth said that he believes that this was a good solid boat,he wouldn't have takin it on trade in if he didn't told us he would not sell junk,but it is junk,their has to be some law that protects consumers for at least the first 90 days
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hello,still haven't gotten any kind of answer,yet you got my 36 dollars from pypal

Thank you for your follow up.

Did you test the boat before your purchased it?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
They did start the motor,then ran through the gears,but it's not like a car they don't let you take the boat out to the lake and run it

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, generally, unless the used boat is sold with some type of written warranty, it would be considered to be sold in "As is" condition and it is up to the consumer to have the boat thoroughly inspected by an independent marine mechanic prior to purchase.

So, unfortunately, generally, unless the consumer has real evidence that the dealer had made some type of material misrepresentation about the used boat to induce sale or had engaged in some other deceitful business practice, I am afraid there would generally not be any legal recourse under similar circumstances.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.