Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

My parents just purchased a car from a dealer on Saturday,

Customer Question

My parents just purchased a car from a dealer on Saturday, after driving for 2 days, decided it wasn't the car for them. Dealer won't take it back. Is there a law for major purchases, that allow returns in say 48 hrs. no questions asked. It isn't a "Lemon" it's just too much car.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Iowa, 2011 Buick
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No we have not, just found out the problem 2 Hrs ago.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Couldn't stop payment on check, parents are Seniors (75-76), dealer is offering a 7 day exchange policy what ever that is. But, if there is nothing comparable, what then.
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Consumer Protection Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unfortunately, no. Many people believe that all contract can be cancelled within three days but that isn't true. Some contracts, like that for door to door sales, can be voided within 72 hours but on automobiles the only way that can possibly be done is if the sale was made at a location other than a principal place of business, like at a car show, etc.

I'm not sure what the dealer's exchange policy is because that isn't something set out in the law it is their personal policy. Usually it is something like they will allow you to trade the car for something of equal or higher value but there is usually some additional funds that have to be paid. If they decide they want to do something like that then you should get a written copy of the policy and let a local lawyer review it so they don't get themselves into something that is even worse.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.