Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I wrote a check to an employee from the business account and

Customer Question

I wrote a check to an employee from the business account and it was cashed at a check cashing place. The check was returned for insufficient funds. They are threatening with charging me with a felony. I did partial payment. what can they do to me?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

They can turn it over to the DA but, realistically, the DA probably won't take it for a number of reasons.

The most likely result is that they sue you but if you keep paying on it as quickly as possible then they won't be able to get the case to trial before it is paid off. However, if they file the lawsuit before you pay then the judge may order you to pay their attorney's fees and interest so you want to pay as quickly as possible.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.