insearchoftheanswer
insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years
17027240

Sir...I am being dunned by Verizon with a collection agency.

Customer Question

Sir...I am being dunned by Verizon with a collection agency .
I applied for a fone to use as a land fone. I took the fone home on a Friday....got wary of my ability to use it. In the allotted time to return the fone , I returned it to the store in River Forest, Il. I never took the fone out of the packing...it was never touched or used.
After returning it, I received a bill for over $100.00. It was reduced to $57.00.
I wrote a couple letters telling Verizon, that I could not accept a bill for restocking the fone. Now, I have received a bill from a collection agency
located in Alabama.
I am a senior citizen of 88yrs... a veteran . I donot accept this treatment because I changed my mind.
I should appreciate any assistance and advicein this matter.
Sincerely ***** *****
U
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 7 months ago.

Hi Domenico. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Verizon is notorious for this. And, you clearly don't owe this debt given your facts. Further, since Verizon doesn't have any legitimate claim against you, neither does the collection agency. The collection agency's claim is only as good as Verizon's claim. So, what to do? Send the collection agency a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining why you do not owe this debt (i.e., that Verizons' claim is not valid so neither is the collection agency's claim) and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine. Also let them know that should they file any negative credit report, you will be filing a defamation suit against them for both your actual and punitive damages. In my experience, the fine under the Federal Act and the threat of the defamation should be an end to these collection efforts.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!