Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I live on the 3rd floor (last floor) of a condo building.

Customer Question

I live on the 3rd floor (last floor) of a condo building. Last end of April, the dry wall between my bedroom /bathroom caught fire unknowingly. Firemen put it out right away and there was little damage. As a consequence of the water hosing by firemen, water sipped down through 2nd floor and 1st floor neighbors. I have a personal condo Insurance in addition to the Home Owner's Insurance. First floor Neighbor filed a claim to my Insurance for hotel expenses after the fire for almost $4,000. My Insurance denied their claim, because through investigation I was not negligent, therefore not legally liable. First floor Neighbor sent me a letter asking me to reimburse their hotel expenses denied by Insurance. I talked to my Insurance and they said I am not legally liable for their hotel expenses. Insurance even had a note to call a California number for clarification. Neighbor does not have personal condo insurance.
What is your feedback?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

What was the cause of the fire?