Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I have been promised to win $5,500,000 and a 2016 Mercedes

Customer Question

I have been promised to win $5,500,000 and a 2016 Mercedes Benz car
by the American Cash Awards Co. Ltd. I have paid them $750 for shipping
and handling. They claim that I need to pay more money to bring the car
into Kansas to cover taxes for the car and the prize. The amount is $39,000 which they are helping me pay by paying off credit card balances
repeatedly and submitting the money back to them until the $39,000 is met; then they will deliver my prize.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You're being scammed. This is a very common scam right now but anytime you are required to pay money in advance, for taxes or anything else, it is a sure sign of a scam.

What specific question can I assist with?

Here is an article by the Federal Trade Commission on similar scams:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

Here are some articles on that specific company name:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/AMERICAN-CASH-AWARD-COMPANY-BBB/Internet-jamaica-Select-StateProvince-/AMERICAN-CASH-AWARD-COMPANY-BBB-James-Williams-Mark-Sharpe-Got-a-random-call-from-a-897817

ttp://www.bbb.org/us/Find-Business-Reviews/name/american+cash+awards/

https://www.scambook.com/report/view/32255/American-Cash-Rewards-Las-Vegas-Nevada-PH-***-***-****-Complaint-32255-for-$950.00 (This one is a slightly different name but the same thing)