Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

The guys from 'Skype' did an upgrade to merge their system

Customer Question

the guys from 'Skype' did an upgrade to merge their system with that of microsoft. In that process I lost my 10 year old account. It had skype credit, my skype number, a lot of irrecoverable contacts, and more. I tried three times, but they won't reinstate my account because i couldn't answer all their security questions. Mind you that some of these questions are what month did you open your account so many years ago. 70% of my work is managed remotely, and I relied on skype heavily. I want to make a complaint. I have no idea what to do. Can you help?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, when they upgrade if you lose information that is not their liability if you read their terms of service. However, as far as reinstating your account, you have to provide them reasonable information to verify your identity and if you are having trouble doing so online, you need to call them directly at their main office. Other than those two things, if they will not reinstate your old account, you may be forced to open a new account with new email. But you need to call them and discuss it with them and not just do the online reinstatement.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you are telling me that the terms and conditions gives them the right to take my Skype credit in an upgrade? That is practically stealing! On the other hand, I didn't say I lost data, I said they locked my old account and the method they applied to verify my authenticity is unrealistic and unfair. My question to you, is how to enforce my right to unlock my account that has my money in it. How to make a proper complain that forces them to call me on the phone, because they are refusing to do so. There is no direct phone number for Skype. Please don't send me a msg telling me just to open a new account, I know how to do that, and I don't need to pay money to your service so that you can suggest a simplistic approach to my problem. Please respect my concern. Thank you
P.S. Sorry for being aggressive, but this seemingly simple problem is making me furious.
Thank you for your reply.
No, not the credits, but they are not liable for issues with your account as a result of the upgrade. This is why I said you need to call them to unlock the account and verify your identity. They have every right to verify your identity and if you cannot provide that information, they do not have to unlock it, again this is why I said to call Skype customer service, which has several numbers available: 1800(###) ###-#### *****(###) ###-#### *****
That is what you have to do to validate your personal information with them to satisfy them granting you access back into your account.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Again,
I know if I can't verify my identity then they shouldn't unlock my account. I am saying, if they are using unreasonable methods to verify my account, and I want to complain to force them to verify my account, what should I do. I will call their numbers tomorrow to see if they can do it over the phone (I am sure they told me that they will not), but for the sake of argument, and that is why I am talking to a lawyer, if I believe that they are being unreasonable in not giving me back my account and I want to take action, what is that I can do?
Thank you for your reply.
I am afraid there is no legal action about "unreasonable methods to verify an account," so you cannot sue them over it. There is nobody other than their management you can complain to. The only legal action you could bring is to recover any money you had in your account to be returned to you since they cannot take your money from your account and it has to be returned so that is a suit you can file in small claims court against them without any attorney.