CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

I got a quote online cars when I went to the dealership to

Customer Question

I got a quote online for 3 cars when I went to the dealership to purchase the vehicles I was told it was a typo and they would not tell me the cars for that price. The avg. Car price is $67,000 the online quote was for $1,050 each car.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,
Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you with your question today.

If I understand your question correctly, you found an online quote for these vehicles on the dealer's website for a little over a thousand dollars, when in fact these cars retail for nearly seventy thousand dollars.

You can attempt to bring a claim against the dealer for "false advertising" (see: for an overview, although the damages claim is likely to be limited to $200.00).

But I do not see a court finding a cause of action based on the facts as you stated them, a "reasonable consumer" (so an objective standard) would not believe that a car dealer is selling multiple high end cars for less than you can find a used junker. The difference between the actual retail price and the one that you found generated on the website are so significant that it is unlikely that you would find a court to agree that this is an actual deceptive practice as opposed to a clear error.

(A deceptive practice is when the dealer publishes an advertisement selling what appears to be a "good" deal on a car, but when the buyer shows up, they are either told that car is not on the lot and steered towards upgrades (a "bait and switch" type of claim), or the advertised price for a specific car is simply ignored (but the advertised price has to have some objective or reasonable semblance to the item at hand - $1,000.00 for a top end car is not reasonable)).