LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

California - auto insurance - my boyfriend got into a fender

Customer Question

California - auto insurance - my boyfriend got into a fender bender with my car. He is on my insurance. He wants to turn it in to my insurance company to get fixed. I have a $500 deductible. I'm guessing costs to fix will run about 1500 to 2000 dollars. Will my insurance go up?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 4 months ago.

Yes, one's insurance will go up if their vehicle is involved in an accident, even if it is by a third party.

The car insurance follows the car, so the car's insurance takes primary coverage status, and the permitted driver's own insurance would serve as secondary coverage. Some policies have a one accident free policy where if there have not been any accidents within a certain time frame, rates will not increase;

but that varies by policy.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you -- I forgot -- he hit a construction item that was in the middle of the freeway . . . busy, it fell off a truck a few cars ahead of him and a few people hit it but he's the only one that ran over it, just because he didn't have time to react -- it was bouncing. My insurance company said that if we don't have a license plate, they can't go after anyone, so they won't consider it a road hazard . . . is that true? And, they said it needs to be flying, not on the road in order for them to do something. I feel at the short end of the stick! can't believe this is all true!

If they don't have any information on who dropped it, that is correct, they would have no way to seek recovery from the other person.

So basically, CA is an at fault state, meaning the driver is at fault unless someone else is at fault (ie another driver is liable).

Collision insurance covers stationary objects, while comprehensive covers airborn, so there is a distinction.

Kindly rate positively if you have no further questions on the above; if you do have additional questions please post them here so I can address them for you.