Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Traded in a vehicle on a Friday.....filled out all paper

Customer Question

Traded in a vehicle on a Friday.....filled out all paper work drove the vehicle off the lot. They are calling me on the next Thursday saying the traded vehicle has problems and we don't have a deal......can this be true?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was any type of written purchase agreement signed between you and the dealer which included the trade in and stated at what price the dealer is buying the traded in vehicle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Was the agreement signed by the dealer's employee?

What is the issue with the vehicle that you have traded in?

Please provide me with more details, so I can better understand your situation.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We had made a previous deal but the vehicle broke down before I could get it to them. Took the vehicle to them on a wrecker for their mechanic to look at they called me an hour later and said it was a couple of sensors and we could still do the previous deal. Went to the lot paid down payment plus trade in drove vehicle off lot. Received call from them 6 days later they say the vehicle has more issues and we don't have a deal.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Agreement was signed by manager

Thank you for your follow up.

Was the vehicle that you purchased used or new?

Did you secure auto financing for the new vehicle or paid case for the purchase price?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Used vehicle paid cash and trade allowance.....financed the rest

Thank you for your follow up.

Was your auto loan approved and secured?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was approved they told me it was $349.00 per month 48 months
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ally was the name of the loaner $15,000 trade $15,000 cash finance balance
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
6 or 8 percent on the loan don't remember for sure

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, as long as, there is a written agreement signed by both buyer / consumer and the seller and the agreement outlines the terms of the sale and also the value of the trade in, the such agreement would be legally enforceable and either party (consumer or dealer) cannot change their mind and unilaterally declare that there is "no deal".

So generally, if the dealer refusing to honor the terms of the written purchase agreement, then a local consumer protection law attorney should be consulted and this attorney can send legal notice to the dealer to either follow the terms of the sales agreement or to face legal consequences, which can include a lawsuit to enforce the agreement.

You can find an experienced and skilled local consumer protection law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:

www.lexmundi.com
www.martindale.com
www.lawyers.com
www.legalmatch.com
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to consumer protection law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!