Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My husband who has never used my handicap placard, did use

Customer Question

My husband who has never used my handicap placard, did use it at a store and even parked in the cross-hatch because he didn't know he couldn't (probably only saw blue). He was given two tickets totaling almost $800 and my placard was confiscated. I was unaware that he used the placard (since he never has without me being in the car). We paid the fines, but can I get my placard back. Do I need to send in another application, or can you suggest what I can do for the return/reissuance of it?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was your husband also arrested and criminally charged for the misuse of the handicapped placard?

Also, did your husband plead guilty to the violation?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no he wasn't - he was given 2 tickets for fines totaling $700 + which we paid. My placard was confiscated. I need it. I wasn't with him when used it and was not aware he used it.

Thank you for your follow up.

It is important to realize that misuse of a handicap placard can also be charged as a misdemeanor crime punishable by up to 6 months in jail, so it is a serious matter.

Generally, in similar cases, when a placard was confiscated for misuse and the person charged with misuse plead guilty, the disabled person would have to appear at the local Department of Motor Vehicle and request another tag and in most cases a hearing would be held to determine whether the disabled person had any knowledge of misuse or allowed someone else to have possession of the handicap placard and a decision would be made by DMV whether to re-issue another permit.

It is generally important to bring any related evidence and also medical certification from the doctor certifying that the disabled person is still in need of the handicap placard and also it would be a good idea to hire a local attorney to represent you at a hearing at the Department of Motor Vehicle and this local attorney can make sure that you are properly represented and would help obtain favorable result.

I wish you the best of luck!