Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My andhusband lost s job in 2002 after a bout with cancer I

Customer Question

my andhusband lost his job in 2002 after a bout with cancer I had a 500.00 acct with metris bank but I do not belive that was to my knowledge as a creditor. When he lost his job I worked with my creditors and a pmt arrangement for 4 12.00 pmys. On the last pmt. I was in the hosp and missed the pmt. When I called they informed they had turned it over to collections. We wound up filing chapt. 7 bankfruptcy. 2004 Igot a letter from a law firm threatening court action and my lawyr contacted them and I never heard from them again. Two years later I received a registered letter stating that yet another law firm had sustained a. Indeed there wasjudgement against me in another county The judgement was for 2787.00 plus interest. It Hassince fell off my credit about a year ago. Now yet another creditor has sent me a letter requesting 3,700.00 I really don,t regonize metris bank as the orinal creditor but tere was only I bill for the 480.00 I was paying. I contacted the court where the orinal default jugement was and there is a pending date against me. I have had no written or verbal contact with them they have sent me two letters. One me ntion Atlantic fianace and the other metris. Can they get another judgement 12 years after the bankruptcy and for so much more than original debt? We live on social security . Kim
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Ohio Back in 2004 the jugement and bankruptcy
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I contacted my original lawyer but have not hears back
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Kim,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Did you incur this debt before or after you filed bankruptcy?

2. Was the debt listed as a debt in the bankruptcy?