Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I signed a Motor vehicle purchase agreement then the next

Customer Question

I signed a Motor vehicle purchase agreement then the next day told the dealership I wished to rescind my offer. Do I still have to take possession of the vehicle?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Did you give them any money towards the purchase?

.

Any trade in?

.

.

thanks

I am sorry but I do not participate in the phone call program for the site and limit my interaction with customers only to the website. I like to have time to think about a customer’s question and research it so I can provide the best answer possible.

.

However, if you wish to have a phone call with an attorney, you can post a request for "additional services" and your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No trade in. Wrote check for down payment but put stop payment on it. Never took possession of RV.

Ok, then from a purely legal perspective, the contract was binding on you the instant you signed it and the dealership could sue to enforce it if you breached it. Changing your mind doesn't give you legal grounds to get out of a contract and there is no right of rescission in a vehicle contract unless it is specifically stated in the contract..

.

However.... if dealerships sued everyone who backed out of a contract, they would never sell any vehicles because they would be in court every day. Further, they would have huge legal costs in attorney fees for suing customer. And on top of that is the bad publicity that is generated.

.

So from a practical perspective, if you break the contract, it is pretty unlikely that they would actually sue you. They might threaten to do so, but realistically it is too costly and time consuming to do so.

.

.

thanks