Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

A person says I owe them money. They take me to small claims

Customer Question

A person says I owe them money. They take me to small claims court for 3000 dollars. I don't owe this person or his company any money. They didn't provide service's as agreed. Now they are suing for 3000 dollars. We never had a signed contract on the deal either. What should I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The law allows a person to sue someone else when they believe they are owed money. The law also allows you to defend yourself. The notice you received should have a date on it, telling you when to appear in court. On that day, you'll go in and explain to the judge why you don't owe the money. If the other party didn't provide the services you agree to pay them for, that's a defense. You're allowed to bring in any evidence you have that they didn't uphold their end of the bargain: emails from them, texts from them, pictures, testimony from witnesses who are familiar with the transaction, etc.

Also check with the courthouse in the county where the case was filed to see if they have forms you can use to file a written answer before you go to court. The notice you received should give you a deadline for doing that.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Did you have any other questions about this?