Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I suspect I may have been scammed. I was told I qualified

Customer Question

I suspect I may have been scammed. I was told I qualified for a corporate grant for home repairs. I was told that I had to pay 5% of the distribution upfront and needed to provide a copy of my drivers license and credit card. I didn't feel good about this today so I started looking into this. This company didn't have a website. I looked up the company on the Arizona State Corporation Commission's website and they said this company was in good standing. I looked up the address listed with the Arizona SCC and it appears there is no such address. I checked the USPS as well as Google Maps. I called my credit card company and they stopped the card number and will be sending me a new card. I will fill out an affidavit saying I suspect fraud. I am afraid of what they will do with my drivers license. I signed up with LifeLock to help protect my identity. The name of the company is Grant Solutions. I wonder if you have ever heard of them and if there is something additionally I can do.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

This does appear to be an LLC that is in good standing with the AZ Sec of State and has been in existence since 2002, so it isn't a new company.

.'

I did see an address for 2321 N GRENVIEW DR MESA, AZ 85213 but I think it should be "Glenview" and that is a typo as it is a house in a residential neighborhood.

.

This is what I found as a description. Grant Solutions LLC is a small organization in the business consulting services industry located in Mesa, AZ. It opened its doors in 2010 and now has an estimated $58,000 in yearly revenue and approximately 1 employee.

.

With that said, a primary indicator of a scam is that they are requiring you to pay something up front in order to get any gift or grant money. If this was truly a grant, then you wouldn't have to pay anything for it or if there were fees, they would be deducted from the funds.

.

There are some comments about them and their attempt to charge a 5% fee here: Grant Solutions Comments

.

And the BBB gives them a C+ rating.

.

So there is a chance it is a scam, but they aren't a fly by night organization and have been around for a while..

.

With that said, you can also contact the AZ Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division and file a formal complaint for suspected fraud and they can investigate to see if they have done anything illegal to other consumers.

.

And I would contact Lifelock and let them know what is going on so they can put a higher alert on the account.

.

.

thanks