CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

I authorize a credit card payment over the phone in the

Customer Question

I authorize a credit card payment over the phone in the amount of 650.00, The merchant actually charged $6500.00. I filed a dispute with the credit card company but the dispute was denied. What can I do leagally
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation, and I am surprised that your credit card carrier refused to assist you.

However, to deal with the problem you can file a civil lawsuit against the merchant for breach of contract to recover the funds.

You can sue in Georgia (where the contract occurred) or in the state where the merchant is located.

Fortunately, Georgia has a very high limit for small claims court ($15,000.00), so you can take advantage of this relatively informal court and sue there. This link to the GA state website gives you information on how to sue in small claims court in that state (along with forms):