How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a used Suv. I also bought and extended warranty

Customer Question

I bought a used Suv. I also bought and extended warranty for it.the same day I bought it home the engine light wouldn't go they told me nothing was wrong and kept giving the runaround. I tookay the car to another dealer who were going to fix the problem under my warranty but found out that my warranty was never submitted. What can I do.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

If the warranty was not submitted, the dealer is in breach of contract and you can sue them for damages.

This can be calculated as the value of the warranty (so either they are going to be required to provide the warranty for you, they must get the warranty approved by the carrier, or they will be required to compensate you with a payment calculated as the cash value of the contract).

Short of filing a lawsuit, you can try to mediate the dispute with them - contact your local bar association and request referrals to mediators, a third party neutral can often help you reach a mutually agreeable resolution. Use the bar association's referrals to contact a mediator or two, the mediator will then contact the other party to set up a mediation session, and you can go from there - hopefully resulting in a formal or written settlement agreement, and save yourself the time and expense of litigation.

You can also report them to the PA Attorney General (the AG's office can investigate the dealership for fraudulent and unfair business practices - they do not enforce individual rights, so they won't recover damages for you, but they do enforce administrative and criminal laws, and can take action against the dealer, perhaps protecting future companies).

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you that was good advice. I will seek a mediator if I cannot resolve this problem
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 10 months ago.

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "For William B. Esq." and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.