KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I am just trying to find out about a contract with Direct TV

Customer Question

Hello. I am just trying to find out about a contract with Direct TV and if I am able to cancel the contract within 3 days or only the 24 hours they are stating even though their service has not worked properly since installed.
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no since this just occurred and within the last 44 hours since installation
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: so what type of atty do I need to contact since my time is limited if you can help me with that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. What state are you located.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
TX
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Texas the three day rule applies to buying a house, door to door sales, and magazine subscriptions due to federal law. However, there is no automatic three day rule for cable, or dish service.

In Texas the right of rescission law applies only to very specific situations. The three day right of rescission law applies to sales made at facilities other than the seller's place of business. Texas law on 3 day rescission is set out in Chapter 601 of the Texas Business & Commerce Code.

However, check your contract, if there is a three day right in the contract then, you can still cancel with written notice. The contract will detail how to give the notice.

Also, if DISH has committed a deceptive trade practice or otherwise by misrepresenting to you that the service would work, and it does not, then you may have a right to rescind the deal on that basis. If those are the facts, you should write a letter by certified mail to the seller detailing how the seller deceived you or has misrepresented something to you.

So if you feel that the deception or misrepresentation is significant enough, you can notify the seller in your letter that you are rescinding the transaction.

I hope this helps with your question.