Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

I was online and had a pornography site pulled up, I set my

Customer Question

Hi! I was online and had a pornography site pulled up, I set my phone down and returned maybe an hour later. Upon return, I opened the window back up and it had an error message on it stating something about my apple account being locked and cited a law code of some kind and said I'd been accused of viewing/possessing obscene material with child pornography as one example used. I don't remember the language or everything stated in the message because I got scared and closed the window immediately. To my knowledge there wasn't any of that kind of thing on that site, and I certainly wasn't looking at anything like that or looking for it. Should I expect the police to come knocking anytime soon?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 4 months ago.

Not likely. Messages like that usually pop up as a means of extorting people. They are fake messages purporting to be from law enforcement and they often say that you have to pay a fine or something over the Internet. People are often scared so they do so and the scammers profit off of it. Generally law enforcement doesn't notify people via pop up message that they have broken the law, so it is likely that you won't be hearing any follow up from a legitimate police organization.