Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Live in State. Signed a purchase order camper. Co app my

Customer Question

Live in Washington State. Signed a purchase order for truck camper. Co app my wife did not sign. Have not signed finance papers as we did get approved. Can we legally back out with no repercussions?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unless the contract provides a right of termination, it is enforceable. If your wife has not signed then it is only enforceable against you.

However, if you have not signed the finance papers or paid anything the dealer may, after a bit of pushback, allow you to walk if you ask and are adamant.

While you would be in breach of contract, the dealer is in the business of selling vehicles, not suing potential customers and they will just sell it to the next customer who is looking for a camper.

In such a case, if the sale price to the subsequent customer is at least as much as your contract price, the dealer then has no damages to sue for.

Your next step is to let the dealer know that you are backing out. Be prepared for pushback, but you can probably negotiate an out.

Expert:  Loren replied 9 months ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 8 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.