Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Just verifying the authenticity of American Cash Awards

Customer Question

Just verifying the authenticity of American Cash Awards before I send them the requested money. It looks like they are not legal or honest and it is a scam.
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I am just checking before I send them the requested money.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am supposed to have won $12.5 million dollars, a Mercedes, etc. but I am supposed to send cash money to them before they deliver as fees.
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I am on hold with the man I has been talking with me and instructing me to send the money.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

This is unfortunately a common scam. No one legitimate will ever charge you an upfront fee to collect money you have won. This is called "Advance Fee Fraud." It costs almost nothing to deliver a prize, because they only need to mail a check, but even if they were to hire a courier, that's paid by the company. All overhead and expenses are calculated before a company announces the amount of the cash award they going to give. Taxes are withheld, not paid upfront - that's why it's called withholding. No one could ever afford to win the lottery if they had to pay the taxes directly before getting the cash.

Do not send them any money. Just hang up.

Did you need any more help with this?