Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I rec a paper from an attorney to sign a default judgment

Customer Question

Hi-I rec a paper from an attorney to sign a default judgment for a MSD bill I owe and they are also asking for my employer and soc sec # ***** the paper. When I called, they said to fax it to avoid the embarrassment of having papers served. Do I need to sign it and do I need to disclose my employer?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

If they have not filed suit, it sounds as if they are trying to trick you into crating a judgment before they have even filed.

You do not have to sign anything from them. You can negotiate with them and demand they prove the obligation, as well as any other fees they are trying to add to the principal amount.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has a case and file# ***** the letter. How can I avoid having papers served to my work? It seems strange that they are asking for my soc sec# ***** employer. Will they try to garnish my wages? I had asked for a statement and received it and then rec the letter. I told them I would agree to pay $60 a month and they said that was fine. They added $160 for attorney fees but I did not rec anything in writing about that agreement, only the letter to sign the default judgment. Can I dispute it in writing? Will that keep them from filing charges and I do not want to be served at work as I do not want to loose my job. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Expert:  Loren replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, they can serve you at home or work.

If they are willing to work out a payment plan demand that they put it in writing before you give them any information or payment. Otherwise, the settlement is not enforceable and they can sue you for the entire amount.

You do not have to agree to the entry of a judgment and you can demand that they prove the amount of the claim.

Remember, what ever they offer is not to help you, but to collect money for their client.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Loren, I received the link thru text messages. However, I'm unable to open it using my mobile phone. Can you send it to my email. I would appreciate that. Thanks!.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.