Samuel-II, Lawyer
Experience:  Practice of law for 20 years

Live in Miami Fl. and I bought a 98 Nissan sentra from

Customer Question

Live in Miami Fl. and I bought a 98 Nissan sentra from dealer for $800. Completed all the sell paperwork and at the end was told I need to have insurance to get the title. Next day went to go get insurance for car and was told I dont have to have it to get the title. Call the dealer back and he is tell me now I have to give another $200 for the title after I already paid the $800 for the car and sign all the paid in full paperwork. Told him I wasn't paying another $200 and ask for my money back. He refuse to give me my money or the title. What can I do???
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 4 months ago.

This is Samuel. I suggest you can tell him that he is in breach of contract because the additional $200 is not in the contract and if need be you will file a Small Claims lawsuit to recover your money, plus interest and you will request the court order him to pay your filing and any other associated fees. Put that in writing and mail it certified with a return receipt. If he does not refund your money, then file the lawsuit in small claims in the county where he is located.

You can file it on your own by getting the forms from the clerk of the court in that county. You do not need a local attorney to help you. Generally, after a letter of that nature is received there is room for settlement without court.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I need to have our show any proof, have all the sell paperwork and been renting a car for a month.

You have a contract and a bill of sale. That is all the evidence you need to show the court what the agreement was and now he is jacking you around for an additional $200. And seek your rental expenses in your claim.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can do, thank you

You're welcome. Thanking you in advance for a positive rating as that ensures I get credit for my time and information. Good luck.