KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.

Someone stole my identity and borrowed $800 from a loan

Customer Question

Someone stole my identity and borrowed $800 from a loan company using my name. Money was deposited in a bank account that was not mine. That person did not pay back the loan and now the loan company is asking me to pay back the loan plus interest . Am I responsible?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. No, you would not. This is fraudulent and you had nothing to do with this. Your personal information was stolen and used and you need to alert them of this and dispute the debt and money owed. They need to go after the person who did this and file a report with the police and trace the bank account where the money was deposited. You need to speak with with them and likely submit something in writing, telling them this was not you, you never took the loan and your ID was stolen and used.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.