Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

My girlfriend started an Esthetician course on a Pell grant

Customer Question

My girlfriend started an Esthetician course on a Pell grant but dropped out for medical reasons 75% through it. She now has a $3200 bill from the school and owes $8000 to finacial aid. She is low income and not able to pay this pack in any reasonable time and is looking for options. What are her options? As she has no credit now, so losing credit score is not an issue. What happens if she just walks away and does not pay?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If she walks away and does not pay, then they will sue her and seek to garnish any benefits she receives, since this is a student loan and thus considered a government debt and an exception to the rule that benefits cannot be garnished. If she is medically unable to work or complete the education program, she needs to file with the US Department of Education, which controls student loans, for a waiver of repayment based on her medical disability and she will have to provide proof.
As far as the school itself, they can sue her for the money and get a judgment against her, but that debt cannot be garnished out of any benefits she receives and if she needs to she could have it extinguished in a bankruptcy. If she has nothing in her name and no assets then there would be nothing they could collect from her on the school debt, which is a private debt unlike the student loan debt.