Attorney 1
Attorney 1, Attorney
Experience:  Knowledgeable and Experienced Attorney
16911602

I am a disabled veteran. I bought a house the next day my

Customer Question

I am a disabled veteran. I bought a house the next day my wife washed one 1/2 load of clothes and the sewage backed up and flooded the basement. Called HSA insurance they sent a lumber out here that said did have a clean out and that HSA would not cover it because it wasn't a usual situation. I called another plumber and he said the clean sout was right next to my front door and cleared the stoppge I had to pay $1000 deductebale fr SI restoration company. Century 21 agent gave me $1000 dollars and remax said they woud contribute. I bought the house $1500.00 over the list price and they didn't pay 3% closing cost. When the Century21 agent asked the remax agent to at least contribute something or at least asked the sellers to reimburse me because they made a killing they said no. the remax agent was partying on the boat with them. Maybe the disabled veterans may help me because I am strapped. they knew nobody had lived here for 5 years so when the inspectors ran the water it didn't fill up because it was dry. can you please give me some advice?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney 1 replied 12 months ago.

Hello, and welcome. I am a licensed attorney and happy to assist.

This is a good question, and I'm glad you asked. From a legal perspective, you are looking in the wrong place for reimbursement. Under the circumstances, the inspector who didn't find the problem in the first place may be legally responsible for paying you back, and here's why: Since no one has lived in the house for five years, the inspector probably should have known to leave the water running long enough to figure out whether there was a problem with the pipes that would cause damage with normal use. The inspector didn't do this and therefore may have conducted a negligent inspection. if the inspector was negligent, and knowing of the problem would have let you negotiate repair with the seller prior to closing, the inspector is responsible for paying you back every penny of what it cost to repair the pipes.

if you decide to seek reimbursement from the inspector, you could write him a demand letter explaining the situation, in detail, attaching receipts for the repair, and demanding payment within the time you specified. If you don't receive payment or a response to the letter, you could bring a small claims court action

againsy him.

I hope this information helps. If you need additional information or clarification, just let me know and I'll be happy to continue assisting. If I have addressed your issue and/or pointed you in a positive direction, please let me know that, as well. Also, please remember to leave a positive rating when prompted, as that is the only way attorneys on this site are credited for the help we provide.

Good luck!

Best,

Attorney 1

If there's anything else I can do for you, just let me know. I'm here to help.

Best,

Attorney 1