Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

Short story 1) Aamco put rebuilt transmission in. 2) After

Customer Question

Short story 1) Aamco put rebuilt transmission in. 2) After 345 miles the rear main seal leaks 3) Told me that it was not their fault at first. 4) Got more information. Rear main seal part costs $12 with transmission being replaced at that time. They made the call and proceeded to not replace the seal without my knowledge. Told by him that they can not recommend changing it. What???? 5) After complaining on second call about paying $3,100 for the whole transmission work they said they would put in a new rear main seal for $700 then they went down to $600. This involves dropping the transmission a second time. I'm not satisfied that I have to pay for something that could have been avoided. 6) He said he would talk to his boss possibly I believe to lower that number. 7) Do I have a valid complaint about paying even more than the initial cost?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You probably have a valid complaint. To know for sure you have to have someone who is an expert in transmission repair state that it would be in the ordinary course of business to replace the rear main seal when you install a rebuilt transmission.

In any lawsuit, the standard is what is "reasonable" under those specific conditions. YOu use a reasonable person standard for many things but when you are complaining about an issue like repairs where it takes some degree of skill then you need expert testimony.

However, if you get another mechanic that will testify as to this then you should be fine if you have to sue. If you don't have an expert then what will happen is they will file a Motion to dismiss, use themselves as their experts, and your case will get dismissed.