RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

How do I get my money from American cash awards. Send these

Customer Question

How do I get my money from American cash awards. Send these sob to jail
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to assisting you today.

While I never like to give people bad news, unfortunately, the reality is you will very likely never get any of your money back, or that these people will be found, much less put in jail for their crimes. These scammers do not operate in the United States, so they operate outside of the jurisdiction of even the FBI. And, the reason the criminals have people wire them money is because they know its virtually untraceable. Once it is sent, it's gone.

Here's what you can do:

1) File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, or IC3, a joint task force of the FBI and international police forces. They work together to try and find scams like this and shut them down (though as quickly as one disappears, others pop up in their place).

2) Talk to you accountant about getting a tax deduction for the money that you lost. Typically you can claim losses like these. While it's not the same as getting your money back, it is something. You may need to file a police report for the IRS if you take this deduction.

I realize this is not the news you wanted to hear, and it's not what I wanted to tell you. Believe me, if there was a way to get your money back, I'd of course tell you. Kindly do not "shoot the messenger."

Did you have any follow-up questions or need clarification about any part of my answer? If yes, please REPLY, and I'm happy to continue assisting. If not, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time. Thank you!

Just following up with you. Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you.