Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I purchased a 2013 Chrysler 300 S on March 12, 2016 from a

Customer Question

I purchased a 2013 Chrysler 300 S on March 12, 2016 from a KIA dealer on Ohio. Within a week I noticed a jerking of the car when I applied the brakes. I then returned the car for service, the representative told that me that he did not notice anything during his test drive but suggested that the jerking may have occurred as a result of the ABS engaging when the road is wet. About the second week in May the engine symbol appeared in the dash. I called the dealership and was told by the service rep that I needed to take the car to a Chrysler dealership because I had a factory warranty with them. When I called Chrysler and provided them with my VIN number, I was told that my vehicle was made in Canada, therefore, the warranty was not honored in the U. S. So I called the KIA dealership to inform them of my findings. After much complaining, the service rep suggested that I return the vehicle to the dealership to obtain a diagnosis and repair at no charge. I took the car in on Saturday, May 21, 2016. I waited there all afternoon. They were unable to obtain the part, so they suggested that I return on Monday, May 23, 2016. When I arrived they indicated that they would keep the car overnight and provided me with a rental at no charge. They replaced two oxygen sensors and two key FOB batteries. My vehicle was returned to me on Tuesday, May 24, 2016. In the meantime, I’m complaining to the used car director about the factory warranty not being honored in the United States. He indicated that an upgrade could be purchased and that he would look into it.
On Thursday, May 26, 2016, the engine symbol reappeared along with the ABS symbol, the traction symbol, and a notice to service engine all appeared in the dash. As I pressed the gas pedal I had difficulty accelerating. Then I pressed the brake to put the car into park but the gears would not shift, nor would the car turn off. I was in a potentially dangerous situation. The car stuck was in drive. I called the dealership, they suggested a towing company to call who towed the running car that was stuck in the drive gear. With all this trouble within a 60 day period of having the car, I really do not want it anymore. Do this vehicle fall within the ‘lemon law’? Can I request another vehicle? I gave them various opportunities to remedy the situation but my problems with the car are getting worst. Any Advise?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear this; can you tell me if the vehicle was branded as a lemon? the manufacturer must brand the title and provide a warranty, and the used car dealer must provide fair warning notice to consumers. It will appear on the title with this warning: BUYBACK: This vehicle was returned to the manufacturer because it may not have conformed to its warranty.