Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have been caught in a timeshare scam in Mexico.

Customer Question

I have been caught in a timeshare scam in Mexico. Financially I have been impacted $45,000. At this point, I have no more money to spend to gain my money back.
I was told the contract that was signed and all the promises given to me were all fake. What should I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The first and most important thing you can do is stop sending money immediately. It's illegal to require an upfront payment to transfer a timeshare, so this IS a scam. It's the buyer who should be spending money to do that transfer, not the seller. You shouldn't have to pay a penny until you're holding their payment and the paperwork has been signed by everyone. The second thing to do is file a Complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center. They can investigate.

The third thing to do is, beware of follow-up scams. Sometimes in this situation, the scam artists will have a friend contact you and offer to get your money back - for a small, upfront fee, sent via Western Union. It's just a more despicable part of the original scam. Don't fall for it. Real law enforcement will have email addresses that END in .gov and they won't charge you anything for help - that's why we pay taxes.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?