Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

What is the answer toi my quetion. How do i get the

Customer Question

What is the answer toi my quetion. How do i get the collectioon agency and nicor to understand I was not living in the premises they say I was and i do not owe the 415.00
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send them a letter telling them that you are writing pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you deny being liable for the debt. Tell them to provide proof the debt is your debt in the form of a signed contract and also tell them you are attaching your proof you are not liable for the debt and that if they continue to pursue you for the debt, it would be deemed harassment and you would pursue them for violations of the FDCPA for up to $1000 per violation plus attorney's fees and will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (http://www.ftc.gov)
If they do not respond proving the debt and/or do not cease and desist contacting you, then you can get a local consumer protection attorney to sue them for improperly pursuing you contrary to the FDCPA.