Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney 40 plus years private practice. Real Estate, Wills, Trusts, Injury claims. Still active.
18215332

At a local restaurant after I ordered my entree the waitress

Customer Question

At a local restaurant after I ordered my entree the waitress said soup or salad? Thinking that one or the other came with the meal l ordered the soup.there was never a mention of an extra charge for the soup. When I got the check I noticed that my meal was 1.00 more than what was on the menus.when I questioned the different price and was told at that time it was for the soup. We have been to this restaurant twice and forgetting what happened the first time we order the soup again.again we were billed extra for the soup.when I questioned the manager and told her that we were never told about the extra charge she told us that's what is in the cumputer and that's what the charge is.can a restaurant charge you extra without showing it on the menus or. Letting you know in advance?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 6 months ago.
You are correct to call that to the attention of the manager. That is extremely poor PR on the part of the restaurant. You always see small additional charges for variations somewhere on the menu.