RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers

What recourse do you have if geico denies your claim when

Customer Question

what recourse do you have if geico denies your claim when you car was stolen? my friend's car was broken into last saturday and a few things taken, but no damage and so she wondered if she left the window open. then last night it was actually stolen, and she's pretty sure she locked it - she lives in LA, and has to be careful. But she admits she has no idea how they broke in saturday since there appeared to be no damage- perhaps an open window. anyway,she is worried that geico will deny the theft claim for negligence on her part, and if they do, does she have any recourse?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 5 months ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Her best recourse here to report it stolen if she has not , get the case number, and provide the report to Geico.I wouldn't tell them the window as open here just tell them it was stolen.It is possible these guys got the VIN number and had a key made.If she makes a police report they have to pay a claim assuming that she had paid her premiums and was covered. The insurance company normally waits a week to 10 days to pay here to see if it shows up.Often they use it in a crime , strip it and leave it somewhere.Assuming it is not located then they pay her book value plus tt and l on that amount.They are probably going to try to give her trade in , she needs to be looking in craigslist, dealerships for something similar.I have been able to negotiate this up say $500 here with such documentation. If the claim is denied here she can sue them for wrongful denial.
You can also file a consumer complaint here if they deny you. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.
If you can positive rate when we are through it is always much appreciated.