Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

My employer and union just settled a new contract that includes

Customer Question

My employer and union just settled a new contract that includes a $200 monthly fee to keep my spouse on my health insurance. They are giving me 1 week to decide if I keep my spouse on or make other arrangements and it is a binding decision for 18 months. My spouse can obtain health insurance through their own employer. Can they really force me to make this decision with only a week's notice?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, unfortunately the employer can set what they call the "open period" under their contract and in many instances that open period can be one week. There is nothing in the insurance codes requiring them to give you any specific open period to sign up. So you need to look at the benefits of your plan compared to what your spouse's plan will provide and you have to decide I am afraid or they can refuse to allow you to decide after that open period closes.