Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I signed a contract with Home improvement company

Customer Question

I signed a contract with Home improvement company to replace my roof and sidings that was damaged by storm. My insurance claim was approved and The insurance company agreed to pay for the damage. Now I changed my mind to keep my existing sidings, and the contractor keep pressuring me that I signed a contract and they do not want to do the roof only they want me to do the sidings too.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.What does the contract state about cancellation? Written contracts are used to bind parties to agreements they enter and courts must enforce them as written. This means if the contract you signed does not have a cancellation provision the company can force you to honor the contract or pay for breach of the contract. If your insurance has authorized the repair and you signed the agreement then you legally must follow those terms and without a cancellation clause in the agreement it is up to the contractor to agree to cancel the agreement and you would have to negotiate with them to do so.