Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Is there a back out period if you have given a deposit to purchase

Customer Question

Is there a back out period if you have given a deposit to purchase a car.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. There is unfortunately no automatic right to cancel a sale for a new car, unless the paperwork provides for one. A contract is binding as soon as it's made, even if you hadn't paid the deposit. The only exception is for door-to-door sales or those made somewhere other than the seller's place of business, not including telephone sales. If the contract says you cannot cancel except under certain conditions, and they didn't list any, then I'm sorry to say you're obligated to buy the vehicle. If you choose not to proceed with the sale, the dealer can sue you for the profit he would have made on the deal. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. Please rate my answer positively to ensure I am paid for the time I spent answering your question. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.Good luck.
Did you have any other questions about this?