Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I an agreement stating the defendant must pay me $2400.00 a

Customer Question

I an agreement stating the defendant must pay me $2400.00 a month on a 299,000.00 loan. He is now in default and I want to sue him to get my funds. total of 178,000.00 is left unpaid The agreement was signed in New Jersey and I now live in Arizona.Can I sue him from Arizona and if so where should the complaint be filed. The defendant lives in Conneticut
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If the defendant now lives in CT, that is where you would have to sue him in order to get personal jurisdiction over him to force him to come to court and defend. AZ has no legal jurisdiction over him so you can't sue him there and since neither of you is in NJ, then the eliminates that as a venue..But you can sue him from AZ, you would just need to contact a local CT attorney to represent you and draft up the summons and complaint to file it in court on your behalf. You would eventually have to go to CT to prepare for and actually have a trial if it ever got that far and he still didn't pay you once he was served with a summons for the lawsuit...thanksBarrister