Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

I don't know if you can help with this or not My son was

Customer Question

I don't know if you can help with this or not My son was going to rent a house and he filled out the application and gave them the first month's rent ($700), I then gave them ($990) for the deposit and the pet deposit. He never signed a lease. When I went to give them the deposit on Thursday the place was no where near ready to move into. Went back on Friday to bring boxes and nothing had changed. The floors were not done, there was a refrigerator that was absolutely disgusting with four inches of black mold in it, the stove had black slim running out of it (they were cleaning the oven). I told my son to forget it stay where he was. The new place was in a horrible neighbor hood and not ready.My son called the property manager numerous times and he would not return the call. So I went by there the following Saturday and spoke to him. I ask for the money back and told him we would give them $200 for the inconvenience and he assured me that would not be near enough money. He said he worked for a gentlemen that owned hundreds of properties and he would require me to rerun the ads one that cost $230 and be responsible for getting new tenants in there. He said he needed my information to get the $990 back to me but the rest was up in the air. I still have not received my money back or heard anything from him. The same day that I talked to Richard my son called him and of course he would not answer his call. He left him a message that he was getting a lawyer. Richard then called me instead of my son and told me what my son had said. He said for him to go ahead a get a lawyer that Yohan (his boss) had a whole fleet of them and he would be glad to go to court.I hope this makes sense. Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 8 months ago.
are you asking if he can get the deposit back due to landlord conduct?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am asking; since there was no lease signed, should the landlord be obligated to return the money.
Yes since there is no agreement and occupancy not provided and deposit was conditioned on a lease which did not happen. I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know. kindly Select an excellent rating.