Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

Me and my ex girlfriend are registered owner of a vehicle of

Customer Question

Me and my ex girlfriend are registered owner of a vehicle of which I am the primary owner. Can I legally repossess it?
JA: The Consumer Protection Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Consumer Protection Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: She has the vehicle and can't make payments. I want the vehicle if I'm making the payments.
JA: Is there anything else the Consumer Protection Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Consumer Protection Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, as long as you are on the title and a registered owner, you have as much right to the vehicle as your ex-girlfriend does. You need to keep in mind though that if you go to get the car, you want to avoid a fight or civil disturbance, so that you don't get into trouble with the police. In other words, try to take the vehicle when you know there won't be a big scene and also let her know, at least after the fact, that you have the vehicle so she doesn't call it into the police as stolen. The police will not help you pick up the vehicle though since both of you are registered owners. Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you