CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

I purchased a car and it needed a motor, I contacted this guy

Customer Question

I purchased a car and it needed a motor, I contacted this guy on Craigslist and engine rebuild he aranged for my car to be picked and delivered to his shop to start the repairs. When he started the work ive been paying him every 2 weeks until i paid majority of the money. All i owe him is 300 upon pickup when the job is completed. It has been been numbers of time he would tell me when my will be ready but its been all exscuses.since then ive been trying to call him on numerous occasions but no answer. Ive been out there to his shop a couple times still no results. This guy have had my car for over a year.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 5 months ago.
Dear Customer,I am sorry to learn of this situation.While this is a civil matter, not a criminal one (so law enforcement cannot assist you until you get a civil judgment), there is recourse to assist you here.You can sue the individual (even using small claims court - which is fast and easy to do, and does not require an attorney), for "breach of contract" and "conversion" (conversion is the civil equivalent of theft). Once you get a judgment, law enforcement can assist you in enforcing the judgment and in enforcing the recovery of your vehicle with a private tow company.You can get assistance and information with a small claims (Justice of the Peace Court) action here: