Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am havin an issue with my new vehicle and a finance company

Customer Question

I am havin an issue with my new vehicle and a finance company that the previous owner has a Lein with.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: Ok I purchased the vehicle from the seller at the end of January. He said title was clean and had pink slip in hand. I met up with him and I looked over the vehicle verriified vin number and pink slip was indeed clear and Lein free. We made the deal and I paid for the car in full and he signed the vehicle over to me. On May 10th a repo company attempted to repossess my vehicle and stated that the previous owner had not payed his loan back. I showed them the registration that is now in my name and they confirmed with the local police department that the vehicle was registered to me. They decided to let me keep the car but told me I should take care of the Lein problem. I called the finance company and they stated that they had the title but that was not true since seller had the title in hand. They refuse to give me any info and told me that I would need to surrender the car. What are my options?
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Have you contacted the Seller about this issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have Attempted to but with no success he changed his number.
You need to find out what the loan is exactly and why the lien was not there when the property was sold. Then you need send a formal written demand to the Seller to clear the lien or refund your purchase price. If you are unable to get any information on the loan, you still need to send a formal written notice to the seller that a claim has been made on the vehicle and you need the issue cleared or you would be forced to file lawsuit for recovery of your purchase price. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.