insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years

This message is . On March 25 I had major

Customer Question

This message is for Richard.
On March 25 I had major surgery. Everything went fine. Now I am dealing with all the bills. Before the surgery I contacted Aetna to find out my share of responsibility. Their answer was after I meet my deductible I should pay 10%. I also check with the hospital before the surgery. They told me that all anestethiologists are out of network. However, as long as the hospital and my primary doctor were Aetna, Aetna will pay for the anestethia. After 7 weeks they haven't approved the Hospital bill. Also, Westchester anestethiologist are sending me bill for one 4.900 and another 1,800. I paid my share to the woman that administered it. In addition before the surgery, my dr. drawed blood for a test to check if I had cancer in my ovaries. Aetna said that they are not approving. That one is $ 450 out of my pocket. The price for the anestethia is insane. Monday I am going to stop by my doctors office, bring the bills and ask them to call Aetna on my behalf and figure out how to cancel out these bills. I am having a fog in my brain trying to figure out all these bills. I don't have the money that they expect me to pay. My question to you is not paying these bills will affect my Credit Score?
Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  insearchoftheanswer replied 5 months ago.
Hi there. Unfortunately, unpaid medical bills still impact your credit score. BUT, much less than in the past. The credit agencies are now differentiating between medical bills and other bills, realizing that a medical situation facing an otherwise high credit score customer differs substantially from a person who simply doesn't pay their bills regularly. And, once paid, or if you work out an installment arrangement, they will no longer impact yours core.