Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I set up automatic payments with a lawfirm who is collecting

Customer Question

Hi, I set up automatic payments with a lawfirm who is collecting a debt. They are doing so on another account I have. But now I am being sued by the same lawfirm for nonpayment on one I had set up automatic payments for. I am wondering if the person I set it up with, entered my bank account info incorrectly. If this is the case, am I still liable for their errors? Is this something that can be resolved without going to court?
Thanks,
Petrine Christensen
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 10 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I thought I had answered this one already so if you have two answer sho wup from me that is why. If this is the case, am I still liable for their errors?If that is the case then you can countersue them for breach of contract and/or ask for sanctions for a frivolous lawsuit since you had agreed to repayment terms and were doing what you were supposed to be doing. Is this something that can be resolved without going to court?That is something that depends on the parties. The court doesn't have anything to do with resolving cases "without going to court" so if you and the law firm can come to an agreement then the court will be glad to dismiss the lawsuit per your agreement.