Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

My air conditioner was hit by lightning and was damaged beyond

Customer Question

My air conditioner was hit by lightning and was damaged beyond repair. I contacted;
Air Arco Temp
6904 NW 46th Street
Miami, Florida
They quoted me a price of $3500, but they said i could only acquire the air conditioner if i leased it. I signed some papers without reading it completely and did not realize that the amount written was $6999. My understanding was the amount they had said at first, as opposed to the new amount I was unaware of, which was $6999. I am legally blind, and when they handed me the documents to sign, they covered up the lease agreement where only the signature part of the paper was visible. This is a very stressful and unfair practice. My only income is social security, i am a veteran and did not think i would be treated so unfairly by in my opinion is a greedy company.
Please advise,
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.How old are you?Is the air conditioner covered by warranty? Usually, they are grounded. Was the installation defective?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am 67 years old.
The air conditioner was very old. There was no warranty. I am also not sure if it was defective or not. This air conditioner came with the house 20 years ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information. You should file a consumer complaint with the Florida Attorney General. What they did may be elder abuse and you may be able to get the state to prosecute them.Additionally, if they actively hid the price from you then you may have a consumer fraud claim to bring against them. There are attorneys who handle these sorts of cases on contingency fee, if the claim seems solid enough. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise: is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.