Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

My adult son drives a Taotao ebike since he has had a DUI and

Customer Question

My adult son drives a Taotao ebike since he has had a DUI and has no drivers license. The HOA where we live has told my unit's owner (I do not own - I lease) that it not allowed - it is kept on our fenced in patio. The owner is going to be fined by the HOA. There is no regulation in the "RULES AND REGLULATIONS" that says these are not allowed. However, bicycles ARE allowed. What would you suggest? He needs this to go to his job.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: So I thought I'd ask about it.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. There have been no other problems. The owner was told he would be fined $100.00. Where they got this amount I don't know. Under Motorcycles the fine is $25.00 a month. Every other fine is $25.00.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you answer by "text" - I don't have access to that email.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 months ago.

The bot***** *****ne is that unwritten rules cannot be enforced by the HOA. You can go to court and obtain a legal determination to that effect by showing the court that there is no such rule or regulation in the CC&Rs and that the HOA is enjoined from assessing any penalties for having the ebike on the premises. The owner may have to do this since he is the one being fined. This is brought by the way of a what is known as a declaratory judgment action [DJA].