Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Can my primary dr test me at a birth control visit?JA:

Customer Question

can my primary dr test me for drugs at a birth control visit?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: i went to my primary for birth control. can they test my urine for drugs. Im not pregnant
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not pregnant.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, legally, the doctor may drug test you prior to prescribing any medication. The reason being is the doctor would want to make sure there are no contraindicated drugs that would conflict with the birth control he is getting ready to prescribe.
That is up to your doctor as to whether or not he orders the drug test, it is not illegal or unethical for him to do so.