KnowYourRights
KnowYourRights, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience protecting consumers against unfair, deceptive, or fraudulent advertising, marketing and financial practices.
9540344

I got a letter from AT&T saying that I owed money on an

Customer Question

Hi - i got a letter from AT&T saying that I owed money on an account that got merged into a new account. I have a zero balance for the new account. I called and spoke to their customer service and they said I could ignore it but could not provide a reference number of any kind. I am worried that AT&T will somehow make a mistake and report this to the credit bureaus. Should I just wait to see if this happens or is there anything I can do proactively? Thank you
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KnowYourRights replied 8 months ago.
How much is owed? Did you ask that they send something in wiriting evidencing this ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Their letter indicates $293.00. I asked for a reference number or something but the person the phone was unable to provide either.
If you have concerns you can pay it and if the account is closed they will return the funds or apply it as a credit. Ideally you can ask them to send something in writing that you can ignore this and will not be charged but if they will not then you can rely on what they are saying and double check by speaking with another representative. The goal is to protect your own interest if there is an issue
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok - is there a way to notify them in writing (I was thinking from a lawyer) of the status and what they have indicated to me?
That is outside the scope of our site but you can request this from then when you speak with them to confirm.
I wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.