Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.

Behind on credit card bills because of loss of job and now

Customer Question

Behind on credit card bills because of loss of job and now on disability. Had a home owners insurance settlement. If I deposit insurance check can debtors take the money?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Have they gotten a judgment against you through a court yet?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not that I know of
A creditor must sue you and get a judgment before they could access the money in your bank accounts. The only exception would be child support or monies owed to the government (including student loans). If it is credit cards, medical bills, etc. they must sue you and get a judgment before getting an order that garnishes funds from your bank account.