Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

My car is not paid off I have a judgment against me credit

Customer Question

my car is not paid off I have a judgment against me for a credit card can they take my car I live in pa
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.Do you own the car free and clear or is there a loan secured by the car?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm making payments on it with 4 years on the loan
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.Yes, they can attach the equity in the car. That means that they could ask the sheriff to seize the car and auction it to pay the judgement. However, before the judgment creditor (the credit card company) would see a penny, the lender on the car loan would need to be repaid from the sale proceeds. If it was not enough to pay the auto loan in full then the credit card would not get any money and you would also owe the balance left on the car loan.It may be beneficial to contact the lawyer representing the credit card company to work out a payment plan or settlement. Just make sure that any agreement you work out is written and signed so that it will be enforceable.
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.